Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Butter!

One thing led to another. And now I have... or HAD this. BUTTER!

I spent the night reading about butter-making, and was intrigued by the simplicity of it all... Just add cream and shake? Unbelievable. And do I seriously want to shake a bottle for hours and hours and hours? My arms are already sore from plucking my boy from trouble (literally) and is butter really worth losing my limbs for? :p But hey, it sounds really easy with a KitchenAid mixer. (hint).

While raiding the fridge for an afternoon snack, I noticed that I STILL had that half tub ofcream left over. What the heck. I dumped the content into a plastic container that used to contain some Chinese New Year goodies, and screwed on the red lid.

When I started shaking it, I went: uh oh... I don't have enough cream to work with! It was just coating the side of the jar! Dammit...

While lamenting this fact to my hubby & equally unsympathetic son, I noticed that the cream was curdling! That gave me HOPE. I shook some more and then I heard the legendary 'blop'! And we've got BUTTER! And I only shook that thingy for less than 5 mins!

There was too little buttermilk to be saved, and I yielded less than a palm size of butter. I added some honey (a little too much) after 'washing it' and glad-wrapped it before I left it in the fridge.

Just had it with some toast - and what a lovely light taste! I didn't salt the butter but next time, I promise I will flavour it better :>

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i told you jme learned to make crepes? the other day, she was whipping up fresh cream for me to go along and taught me not to whip it too long cos whipping cream, when you whip them too much, it'll curd and later become butter. interesting that i read about you making some on your own when she mentioned it like just a week ago? :) i wonder if whipping it is an easier method than shaking.. mabbe the texture would be more consistent? u tell me. ;p Angie